30 June 2008

India Lesson #1

I have little control over most things in life.

New revelation? Nope. Spend a few months working in the wake of a natural disaster and one learns very quickly just how dependent we are on external factors. That said, this is still India Lesson #1 and theme of travel day numero uno.

Today I made it to the airport right on time this morning. Had a whole two hours to breeze on through security and check-in. Got to the gate with just enough time. Flight delayed. Apparently there was too much congestion on the East Coast and we would be delayed on our landing time, so our take-off time was moved back an hour. Even better. Go get some coffee and people watch (totally the best way to pass the time at airports).

2:00 rolls around and we go through the usual boarding fun time, and then we’re off. Around Cleveland, we get the announcement that we have been put in a holding pattern because there is a bit of storm activity up ahead that is slowing things down over there even more. Horray for second round of Mountain Dews :).

About an hour later (do we get credit for airline miles based on circles added to the trip or just straight as the crow flies?), the announcement is made that we have been cleared to proceed to the Rochester, NY area and then to hold there. Still on pace to make it in without having to stop and refuel anywhere. Small consolation at this point in the game and passenger comments clearly separate the optimists and the pessimists.

So we proceed forward, and keep practicing our best Nascar impersonation. They’ve switched to water now since they’ve run out of soda :(. Next thing I know, the sun is staying on the right side and the pilot is telling us that they’ve closed down all New York airports due to weather and with the already over-trafficed day, we’re being sent back to Minnesota.

Yup, that’s right, Right back to where we started. After four hours of flying in circles, I am now no closer to India then when we started (well unless you wanna get technical and count the fact that I made it from the G part of the terminal to F).

Let’s face it, at this point, I’m pretty flexible. The orphanage has me for eight weeks, I’m sure they won’t mind me a day or two late. But I feel pretty sorry for everybody just trying to get home after a weekend away or back to their families after a business trip or having some big meeting that they are now gonna miss tomorrow morning. Yup, still not having much say in how things are turning out. They all get a night at the hotel, I get to run across the terminal (I so go the better deal).

...Small aside... there was an elderly couple from Spain on the flight trying to return home and since they missed their international connection, they were rerouted to the same flight I am on. The only problem was that they do not understand English very well at all and apparently most interpreters for Northwest Airlines speak French and not Spanish. The poor couple could not understand that we had landed back in Minnesota and were convinced that we were in New York since the plane took off and landed four hours later. I tried to help with what little Spanish I still have sloshing around in the brain (with many gestures, of which, there is none sufficient to convey Minnesota) and fortunately both the translator and I were saved by a flight attendant passing by who just happened to be fluent in Spanish. There were many laughs to go around once everybody was on the same page. Maybe next time I’ll try going the pictorial route...

Currently, I’m on my way to Amsterdam (I hear it’s nice there this time of year). From there I catch a connecting flight to London and then head on down to New Delhi. Instead of arriving at 10pm local time Monday night (9:30am CST), I should get in around 6:30am Tuesday morning (7pm Monday CST). Good thing I’m on vacation :).

Now if only my luggage catches up with me... I’m not up for that much adventure in one day...

4 comments:

  1. too bad you don't have a quicklayover in Paris, we could hang!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are such an optimist, kerry. after a day like that I would have been completely dead and discouraged. Hope the rest of your trip goes well

    ReplyDelete
  3. I waved at Paris on the way by :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't win 'em all i guess. optimism just keeps me going :)

    ReplyDelete