22 July 2008

ants


so it’s no secret that i wasn’t a perfect little child. i had my moment of weakness and stubbornness that i’m sure my mother could attest to. while i’ve paid i’ve paid the consequences for some of my actions and probably got away with a few, i’m pretty sure that i’m in a season of repayment for another...

yes, it’s true and i confess, i burned ants with a magnifying glass.

i think that youthful transgression is coming back to haunt me.

you see, ants in minnesota aren’t really all that pesky. they don’t sting or run rampant or cause much damage other than the occasional carpenter ants colony. killing and pestering them was simply youthful curiosity and entertainment.

and then i moved to mississippi. there i found out i have a natural knack for stepping on fire ant hills. you see fire ants can, and will fight back. not a week went by that i didn’t sport some welts or another from my inability to watch where i stepped. they had it in for me. penance, i guess for my youthful carelessness.

and now i live in india. no big, hungry carpenter ants. no pesky fire ants. just these tiny little red ants that have this amazing ability to find a way into anything and everything. i continually find them in my bed, on my clothes, crawling on their little ant highways along the walls, even in my pens. i’m sure they are out to get me. they never sleep, never stop. quite a good number moved into my computer the other day. i have been squishing the pesky little buggars on their way out ever since. they no longer come pouring out every time i turn it on or every time it heats up which i’m taking as a good sign. i think i’ve gained the upper hand on this battle, but i’m a bit worried about the war...

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous08:34

    I have bugs living in my coffee maker that I can't seem to get rid of. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. extra protein in your daily cup 'o joe?

    ReplyDelete