04 July 2008

Why this blog?

I will get to more details about the Home and the boys (which I know is what everybody is really waiting for), but today I’m just not feeling the whole details thing. I’m actually quite amazed that I’ve been able to keep up this pace on blogging, and hope to for the duration of my stay in the Home.

One of the things that I’ve been hoping to get out of this trip is discipline. One cannot jump into a society and a people that is so foreign without needing take a good long look at themselves. Everywhere I go and in everything I do I am reminded that I am different and not of this place. Really, this is probably pretty good for me since I often find excuses and distractions in “normal” life back home.

Blogging is part of this desire to be disciplined. Not only does it force me to process through the massive amounts of information and thoughts colliding in my brain, but it also affords others a peek into this experience and a brief taste of life a little different. I have had quite a bit of feedback, which is both wonderful and appreciated, and am starting to realize that this kind of experience is not possible for everyone to undertake. Hopefully the thoughts, words and stories here will not only continue to convey that fact that I’m still kicking, but also push all of us deeper into this whole living life mindful of who we have been, who we are and who we want to be...

(oh yeah, and last night I realized that I reached my goal of having all 10 boys’ names down)

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like an amazing experience! I'm way jealous. So...Erin is going to visit you? I normally don't like to invite myself along as the 3rd wheel, but I might be interested in coming along too. Depending on the dates she is planning on.

    ReplyDelete