13 July 2008

Vegetarian Diet

I have been eating pretty much exclusively vegetarian fare since my arrival here. Actually, it started before my arrival since I ended up on the back of all three planes en-route due to the last minutes switches and all the only meals left at that point were vegetarian (but I digress). I have never intentionally tried to eat vegetarian before. I grew up eating plenty of meat and have never been so disgusted by the industry or felt the need to discipline my diet for a higher purpose.

My arrival to India, however, has kicked off what will be a mostly vegetarian diet for the next few months. There are many reasons why India has quite a few vegetarians. Some of it economics, since meat is usually more expensive. Some of it is religious, since some sects hold a sanctity to all animal life. Some of it is social, since there is a limited distribution chain that is very much dictated by supply and demand.

I have had the opportunity for some meat. A local volunteer, Ravi, to the home invited Steve, my fellow American volunteer, and I over to his place last Sunday for dinner and to watch the Wimbledon final and the Asia Cup Cricket final. We had a very delicious mutton meatloaf dish and a great time with his family (tennis was a big rained out and India got blasted by Sri Lanka in the cricket match). Yesterday, Steve and I snuck away for a bit and grabbed a good ‘ol chicken big mac as we were out an about. I am hoping to find a little bit of meat once a week or so, but am fine with the majority of my intake being veggie... for now :).

4 comments:

  1. never get up on the steaks kerry! dont do it! jerky is too goooooood!

    plus you'd get too skinny.

    now im hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous23:43

    ummm.... texas bbq. all im sayin

    ReplyDelete
  3. just for the record... i plan on being a hearty carnivore until my teeth fall out

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank the dear lord baby jesus for that!

    ReplyDelete