02 August 2008

'Twas a good month

Whether you count by days, weeks or go by date, I have been here a month now. The time has really flown by and I’m pretty sure the next few weeks will as well. August is already looking a bit different than July turned out to be.

For starters, Steve, my fellow American here at the Home flew back to the States this morning. It was so great to have him here and have someone to ease my transition into things. He will definitely be missed and it still hasn’t sunk in with a few of the boys that he will not be coming back any time soon. As far as where I’m at with all of that, I’m doing pretty well. I feel as if I have become fully functional on my own here and while it was nice to have somebody join me in all my little forays into the neighborhood and beyond, I don’t really see myself holding back for lack of a buddy.

I’m pretty excited to see where things go in month two with the boys. Now that we know each other pretty well, I hope that relationships can continue to grow and mature. I have already seen so many changes in each of them, whether it is asking a question properly in English (still got some work to do there) or seeing an improvement in study habits or even playing soccer a little bit more like it’s a team sport. They are still at most 10 months removed from a life that I cannot understand or imagine. Yet they are still boys and most days tend to be better than the one before.

I have no idea what surprises are in store for the next couple of weeks, but the beauty of this thing is that I don’t really need to. For me, just like the boys, every day is about waking up and giving it our best shot, helping each other grow and become better people, looking for the little markers in just how far we’ve come.

Now if only I can find a way to make August 10* cooler than July...

No comments:

Post a Comment