14 August 2008

Hard Work and Water

I was back at the Noida Girls Home again today. Since they have tomorrow (Friday) off for Independence Day, I wanted to at least make sure that they understood their homework for the weekend. They are still struggling with basic names of letters and simple addition which makes doing things like working with nouns and learning division (their assignment topics) really tough. Needless to say, it’s slow going. But progress continues to be made. All three worked incredibly hard all afternoon, which is definitely a first for my time with them. I absolutely love it when they cross the threshold to understanding and things just click. The sparkle in the eyes, the radiant smile, the excited posture and sometimes the all out victory dance are all incredibly beautiful instances of grace and redemption...

In other news, I managed to get completely soaked on the way back. Surprisingly this is the first real drenching I’ve received this monsoon season. Instead of taking the long way around on the major roads, I usually cut through the sector between the boys home and the girls. Needless to say, I am one of very few foreigners who have ventured into that neighborhood and am always greeted by so many curious children. Today was even better than usual since I got to surprise many of them by joining in their puddle jumping fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment